Apprentice's fingers severed when glove is drawn into machine
24 January 2019
An engineering company has been fined after an apprentice suffered serious hand injuries when he was drawn into machinery.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that a safe system of work, adequate training and effective supervision were lacking. The use of gloves increased the likelihood of being drawn in to the dangerous parts of the machine.
Air Management & Design Ltd of Spencroft Road, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The company was fined £12,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,301.20.
HSE inspector Wendy Campbell said after the hearing: “A young man’s life has been changed because his employer failed to ensure adequate training in and supervision of a safe system of work for the use of a powered three roll bending machine.
“This is a reminder to all companies to check that fully fingered gloves are not worn, and safe systems of work are in place and being followed for operation of dangerous machinery such as three-roll bending machines.”